I’m now 3 days past my due date and feeling LARGE…
I had a home visit yesterday from Carol, my midwife, who brought along a student MW too.
…baby is most of the way engaged, and does appear to have moved into a more favourable Occiput Anterior position though, which is great news!
What wasn’t great news was that my urine had protein in it again. It was just one + but enough for Carol to worry so it was off to hospital again for me last night. I wasn’t worried because I knew I hadn’t drunk enough again.
After a long wait, I finally saw the midwife, did another urine sample, had some blood tests taken and my blood pressure read. My blood pressure was a little higher but not worryingly, so I sat waiting patiently for her to come back and tell me my urine was fine.
How naive of me…my protein was ++ by this point.
I tried to be positive and asked if it might be a UTI…it was a possibility but the midwife didn’t think so. Sure enough, when my blood tests came back I was told that I have mild pre-eclampsia.
So here I am, back in hospital this morning to be induced.
I really didn’t want intervention of this kind but I had told myself that I would do whatever needed to be done for the health of our baby. I asked for a sweep and to be induced on Friday to give natural labour a chance, but they didn’t have room for me so it had to be today.
I had been worried that the sweep would be painful, but it ended up being less uncomfortable than a smear. A pleasant surprise amidst the worry. The midwife told me that I was a centimetre dilated so that was quite encouraging, but it was still quite thick so not as encouraging as it could have been.
I was quite calm and resigned to it at the day centre last night, but as the evening wore on I found myself getting more and more tense. I didn’t sleep well/much and I woke up feeling sick with nerves, gutted that labour hadn’t started naturally after the sweep (along with a hot curry, a walk and an hour of bouncing on the swiss ball).
So here I am!
I was actually in slow labour when I got here so I’m still hopeful that I might avoid the hormone drip. All I can do is wait and see…